Sunday, July 5, 2009

Today Lily, her father, and I went to B&N to pick up books from her summer reading list. Lily is not a cheerful reader, she actually seems to dread the task of reading. It is not that she isn't a capable reader, she just dreads the activity (which is difficult for me to understand as a strong reader, and completely normal from my reading teacher point of view). Reading bores her. She does not get caught up in a story line, she doesn't form emotional attachments to characters, books do not live for her like they do for me.

Today, however, we found several books that she wanted, including the beloved classic "A Cricket in Times Square"...I was thrilled!

But even more importantly, we purchased two copies of Keri Smith's "Wreck this Journal". My buddy Bob, who lives in Florida and takes pictures of manatee mailboxes for me every so often on her blog, started wrecking her own copy a couple of weeks ago, and has been blogging her spectacular results on www.ttelroc.blogspot.com. Her blog is titled "The Goat" (but more on that subject another time).

Lily and I had a blast just filling in our names to our journals(there are specific instructions on how to write your name), and she started to enact her own "wreckage" on several pages. I simply tried to "crack the spine" of the book, which bothered me to no end...but it was fun to break free!

I will post pictures of our progress as they happen...check out Bob's blog for what she has created...it is fabulous stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am that this happened. I also didn't realize that TWO books were purchased - Awesome!! I'm doing a Dance of Happy right now :) :)

    Thank you for all of the wonderful, delightful comments you've made about me and my blog. You are a gem.

    Love you! Wreck those Journals!

    ReplyDelete